PST File Gets Corrupted in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003
Outlook storage files are also liable to corruption like any other files. The daily news alerts users about various ways through which email data and mailbox folder items get hacked. With the rise in malicious activity over the years, personal email data can easily get affected and may detect errors like “The PST could not be accessed & found – 0x80040116″.
PST File Gets Corrupted in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003?
These also include the personal storage files(or PST) of Outlook saved on a user’s computer. It is the default file created automatically that contains all the mailbox data that is archived. Many times, there are viral, Trojan or other malware that corrupt a PST file. Other reasons can be corruption in the hard disk or the sector where the Outlook.pst file is saved. The reasons can be many including power surges, using bad recovery tools, large PST file. But here we are going to discuss the different ways to handle the situation when PST file gets corrupted in Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2007, 2003.
Some Errors and issues detected in Outlook PST are:
- Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- The PST could not be found
- Outlook PST could not be accessed
- The PST cannot be accessed – 0x80040116
How To Solve Outlook PST File Corruption Issues?
There are ways through which even a corrupted PST file can be resolved. Some of them have been discussed in the following segment. These are possible solutions to get back corrupted PST file in Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2007, 2003. Repeat the steps in exact ways to avoid any unnecessary loss of data.
Solution#1 Using the Inbox Repair Tool(scanpst.exe)
Often there are errors encountered while opening Outlook. This could indicate a possible damage to the storage files. It is an inbuilt tool that checks Outlook data files. Other use for this tool can be in cases where the application keeps crashing, errors in sending or receiving emails, incomplete import or export process, or issue with view settings.
This is a free ScanPST.exe tool to fix issues in PST file provided by Microsoft to diagnose such issues. It is a universal solution when PST file gets corrupted in Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2013, and Outlook 2007. It is called ScanPST.exe tool and is located in the Outlook Mail folder on a user’s machine. The default PST file is also saved in the same folder with a file extension ‘.pst’.
Steps to Run ScanPST
Follow the steps below to use the Inbox Repair Tool:
- Firstly, exit the Outlook application.
- Then, locate the scanpst.exe. It is very easy to locate the scanpst.exe file by searching the name of the tool in a file explorer window.
- Alternatively, press the Windows button on the keyboard. Type scanpst.exe in the search bar present on it.
- Then, double-click on the file name. An Inbox Repair Tool window will pop-up.
- Next, Browse to the folder location where the .pst file is saved.
- After that, click on the Start button to start the scanning process.
- Following that, errors will be recorded by the scanner. Click Repair option to fix problems in Outlook PST file.
- After the repairs have been completed, restart Outlook with the profile for the PST which has just been repaired.
Now, when the Outlook will open a new folder will be present by the name Recovered Personal Folders. This folder will contain all the lost or recently deleted emails recovered by the repair tool. These mailbox items might not be in the original Outlook folder. Some of the folders may also be recreated which can be empty.
- Now, these lost and recovered emails may be saved in the original Outlook data file. For this, just drag and drop the emails to the mailbox folder of choice.
- Having moved all the emails to the original Outlook mailbox, just delete Recovered Personal Folders.
Solution#2 Alternative Method of Using a Third-Party Tool
PST file gets corrupted at any moment. Email clients being constantly connected to the internet are most likely to be attacked. It is the responsibility of the individual to take precautionary measures and apply fixing of inaccessible Outlook PST file whenever necessary. The manual solution is quite effective but data integrity and security of a personal folder file is often not guaranteed. Often users look for workarounds to performing the steps to resolve issues in Microsoft Outlook data file. As we have explained, one such tool is an alternative third-party tool to get back data in a corrupted PST files. It is a very easy-to-use and simple tool that recover lost emails from outlook .pst file. Not only emails but other mailbox data items like contacts, calendars, notes, tasks, journals, etc. can all be recovered. The application fix Outlook PST file effectively. It is highly recommended by many data recovery agents.
Emails are accessed daily by an employee in an organisation. It is essential that communication and workflow are maintained for daily activities. Often there are issues with a personal storage file (PST) of MS Outlook. Reasons can be many like oversized PST, hardware or software corruption that may result PST file corruption or damage. But the most important thing is to be able to fix mailbox data as soon as possible. This will ensure that regular working of a company is not affected due to corruption in PST file. For this purpose, this blog describes how PST file gets corrupted in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2010, 2013, 2007, 2003.