Recover and Restore Mailbox in Exchange 2010 Server Effectively
Many organizations in today’s time don’t want to take risk of not taking the proper backup. Few circumstances like Email system crash are plenty enough to give an Exchange Admin nightmare. The market is flooded with many Backup and Restore solutions. Many times, an Exchange Admin performs this solution but in few cases, this is not the way forward to resolve the problems to restore mailbox in Exchange 2010 account.
System Requirements for Exchange 2010 Mailbox Recovery
Before going into the methodology to retrieve user mailbox in exchange 2010 account, let us acquaint ourselves with a few basics:
- Usually, single mailboxes are not required to be recuperated from any backup since after being erased, a mailbox can be found in “Disconnected Mailboxes” under “Recipient Configuration”. From here, it can basically be reconnected and then restored. In this manner, the means we’re going to disclose apply to a circumstance where an erased letterbox has been cleansed from disconnected mailboxes.
- Microsoft does not give a local and complete approach to restore mailbox in Exchange 2010 granularly. Thus, the accompanying procedures can be utilized to retrieve emails from Exchange 2010 database:
- A combination of the vivid PowerShell commands & Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 (DPM).
- A backup-restore program like Windows Server Backup or Backup Exec 2010.
- Convert Exchange database files (EDB) to PST to enable the information access via Outlook.
- The recuperation steps beneath accept that the end-users know about the recovery and backup strategies and that full backup of database exists.
Strategies to Restore Mailbox in Exchange 2010 Server Account
Here we discuss three methods to that help to recover mailboxes in Exchange Server 2010 user account.
The method that will be described below will employ PowerShell Commands and Microsoft System Centre 2010 DPM to recover Exchange mailboxes. So, the steps can be followed easily:
- Launch EMS and find the Mailbox Server in which database of the current mailbox is present.
- Make temporary user by the mailbox located in the same database and provide it a specific name.
- Run Powershell cmdlet for activating a Recovery Database on the mailbox server as in step 1.
New-MailboxDatabase -Recovery -Name RDB -Server mailboxServerName -EdbFilePath fullPath -LogFolderPath fullPath
- In DPM console, hit on the Recovery Button and hit browse tab. From the list in the left side panel, select Exchange Server Name in which the copy of the database is stored.
- Select the Recovery date & time from the calendar in the display.
- Find out the mailboxes in Recoverable items area. Right click on it and hit on Recover option.
- Opt for the Recover to Exchange Server Database alternative and type the server name and Recover database name prepared for this task.
- Select the Next remaining buttons and initiate the process.
- Once restore mailbox in Exchange 2010 account is finished, run the Powershell cmdlet to export the restored contents of recovery mailbox in the folder namely Recovery.
- Retrieve contents of recovery mailbox to PST folder by employing the cmdlet:
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox userNameRecovered -FilePath \\mailboxServerName \RECOVERED.PST$\userName.Recovered.pst
Note: In this, there is already created target folders that store PST files and then grant it full access for Exchange Trusted Subsystem group.
- Provide the user with his PST file and then remove Active Directory account and mailbox of the temporary user.
- Eliminate the recovery database that is created for the entire process by employing the following command:
Remove-MailboxDatabase -Identity RDB
This method makes use of the automated backup-restore tool. In this, we are using two inbuilt command lines to resolve the issue:
1. Windows Server Backup
- Launch Windows Server Backup tool
- Click Actions >> Recover to start Recovery software
- Choose location where the backup is to be restored and hit on Next
- Opt for date and time of the backup process to restore from and then select Next
- Select Recovery type as Application and then tap on Next
- Afterwards, select Exchange as Application to restore. Select Not to Perform roll forward the database and click Next
- Choose Recovery to other location and enter path to different folder from the location of Live Mailbox Database and log files and then tap Next
- Hit on Recover to start the restore process
- In case the process is completed, shut down the Recovery Wizard
- Get Restored Database to clean shut down state via ESEUTIL
- Make a recovery database by using EMS and Restore Individual Mailbox in MS Exchange Server 2010
2. By Using Backup Exec 2010
- Incorporating EMS to restore mailbox in Exchange 2010 database with the command below:
New-MailboxDatabase -Recovery -Name RDB -Server mailboxServerName –EdbFilePath fullPath -LogFolderPath fullPath
- Once recovery database is created, select mailbox database that is to be restored under the choose mailbox database that is to be repaired beneath the store section in Backup Exec Console
- Select Redirect Exchange Sets in MS Exchange Redirection and then specify Exchange Server name in Restore to server
- Select Redirect using VSS snapshot Provider
Note: Here VSS stands for Volume Shadow Copy Service
- Select Redirect to storage group and/or Database (Exchange 2007 and above editions) and specify name of Recovery Database in Restore to Database or Recovery Database
- Submit the Restore Job
- Once the retrieval of user mailboxes in Exchange 2010 completes, restore data items via EMS Commands
Here we are familiarizing a third party tool which easily recovers damaged .edb files in Exchange server 2010.
By Exchange Recovery Software
The application is robust enough and it tackles all the problems easily. The tool has many brilliant features that serve the users with multiple solutions and restore mailbox in Exchange 2010 without encountering any issue. This software has many characteristics that make it more efficient when compared to other tools available in the market.
The advances features of Exchange Mailbox Repair Utility explained below.
- Retrieve the Exchange Mailboxes in Live Exchange Server, Exchange Online, Outlook
- Recovers both Private (priv.edb), Public Folders (pub.edb) and STM files of Exchange
- Search users of sub-domain facility provided to the users by the Exchange Recovery
- Repairs both Dismounted and Offline Exchange Database files/folders from Mailboxes
- Recover & Repair corrupt EDB files and mailboxes via scan mode option
- Provides Export Category Option for Mail, Contacts, Tasks, Journals, Calendars, Notes
- Offers Naming Convention option to store the Exchange emails in HTML/PDF/MSG/EML
- Allows with date, time base filtration to recover Exchange Mails of 16/13/10 versions
- Retains the on-disk folder/file structure during restoring the Exchange EDB Mailboxes
- Export Exchange mailbox EDB to PST, MBOX, MSG, EML, PDF, HTML file format
- Migrate offline Exchange database to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server
- Compatible on Exchange Server Editions & gives save/load Scanned EDB files option
The Final Note
From the above topic, it is quite clear that the recovering mailboxes in Exchange Server can be solved easily. Moreover, it provides the users with techniques to come over the issue on how to restore mailbox in Exchange 2010. The manual method described is so complicated, but one can follow the alternative automated method for quick and error-free solution. So, follow the procedure completely and get over the problems with an ease.