Repair Corrupt Exchange Database 2013/ 2010/ 2007/ 2003
Most of the Outlook users have MS Exchange accounts also. Whenever Outlook connects with the MS Exchange server, it gets synchronized with all the mailbox items automatically. Therefore, Exchange database is also really important for all Outlook user. However, in an organization, Exchange Server stores around hundred of mailboxes on it. Thus, if there is any technical fault or issue with the server, it becomes an issue for the users. The Exchange EDB file becomes corrupted or inaccessible. And, when it comes to repair corrupt Exchange database 2003, it takes lots of time and cannot be fixed easily as they are too complex. Hence, keep all the requirements of users in mind, we have discussed both manual and professional solution to recover corrupt Exchange 2010 database.
Why We Need to Repair Corrupt Exchange Database
The EDB file is the Exchange database file, which is basically stored on the Exchange Server 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003. Thus, corruption in Exchange EDB file results in corruption in the Exchange Server. If there is an error in Exchange Database .edb file, then there must be some reason behind it. So, in this section, we have discussed all major factors that lead to errors in EDB file.
- The Exchange Server dirty shut down also results in a damaged .edb file.
- It can be due to some virus attack.
- May be because of some JET engine problems.
- Sudden system shut down sometimes lead to corruption in EDB file.
- If there is some application malfunction, then also it results in Exchange Database corruption.
- Server downtime or header corruption can also one of the major factors.
Consequences of Exchange Database Corruption
If a user searches on how to repair corrupt Exchange database, then it might be possible that a user may experience any of the below consequences:
- The information store services may become close
- All information store service may go beyond the control of Administrator
- Due to lack of storage space of the CPU, the information store fails to respond
- It might also happen that MS Outlook starts working abnormally or inappropriately
Repair Corrupt Exchange Database Manually
The process to fix corrupt database of Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 can be done by following the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Backup Your Exchange Mailbox Data:
The first steps that you must perform before starting the recovery process are back up the complete mailbox data. It will be beneficial in the case of the unsuccessful recovery process and overcome the data loss situation.
Step 2: Check System Logs:
Checking the application log files is also important as it helps you in detecting the actual cause of failure. Now, to open system log in the Event Viewer, follow the steps listed below:
- To begin, click on the Start >> Programs >> Application Tools>> Event Viewer option
- In the Console Tree, click on the System Log
- Now, click on the Source option in the Details panel and locate the appropriate entry for the Exchange server to sort the logs in an alphabetical order
- After that, double-click on the log entry and open the Properties page for the events
- Then, from the View menu, click on the Filter option in order to filter logs and display the entries for a particular SMTP service event
- Now, in the System Log Properties window choose the SMTPSVC option from the Event Source List
- In the Category List choose the definite set of events or leave the default settings to All and provides access to all the events set for the SMTP service
- In last, click on OK button
Step 3: Run Eseutil & Isinteg Utilities:
Now its time to run the Exchange tools on the Server. These tools are by default installed at “..\exchsrvr\bin” directory.
Before you begin the process to repair corrupt Exchange database problem, make sure that:
- There is enough disk space to run Eseutil
- Verify the bad sectors on the hard disk by running CHKDSK
- You must be login as an Exchange Administrator
- Now, to execute Eseutil & Isinteg tool, follow the steps given below:
- First of all, click on the Start >> Run
- After that, type cmd in the Open field and click on OK button
- Now, execute on the ‘C:\Program Files\Exch_srvr\bin directory’
- Then, type exe in the command line
- If the EDB file is highly damaged, run Eseutil with switch p i.e., ‘Eseutil\p’
- To defrag the recovered files, run Eseutil with switch d i.e., ‘Eseutil\d’
- Now, to analyze integrity status of the repaired EDB file, you need to run the Integrity check tool i.e., Isinteg
“c:\program files\exch_srvr\bin>isinteg -s server_name -fix -test alltests”
- After that, execute Isinteg\g in order to recheck the accuracy parameters of EDB
- Use Administrative tools to mount the recovered Exchange database files.
Best Solution to Repair Corrupted Exchange Database
It might be possible that a user may encounter some limitation while manual solution discussed above. Eseutil takes lots of time to complete the retrieval process. Moreover, it removes all items that it cannot fix. Therefore, to overcome all such type of limitations, a user is recommended to use a third-party tool named as Exchange Mailbox Restore Software.
It is one of the popularly used tools among the users. The Quick and Advance scan mode of this utility recovers and repair corrupt EDB files of Exchange 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 automatically without any trouble. To recover offline Exchange database file from minimal corruption select Quick scan and if the EDB file is severely damaged or corrupted, then choose the advance scan option.
After recovery, users can export Exchange mailbox to PST, EML, HTML, MSG, MBOX, PDF file format. Also users can migrate offline Exchange database to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server 2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007 / 2003 mailboxes.
A user can run this application recover EDB file of any version of Exchange Server. After conversion, the software auto-create the export report in CSV file format which save the success and fail count of export Exchange data.
Key Features Of Automated Utility
- Support Exchange private and public folder & STM file
- Preview Microsoft Exchange database mailbox data items before conversion
- Preserve original folder hierarchy and keep metadata intact
- Export selective Exchange mailbox data items via date and categories filter option
- Suitable with all MS Exchange Server, Outlook, and Windows OS versions
Any issue in the Exchange database can cause corruption in Exchange Server. Therefore, to overcome this situation, it becomes mandatory to repair corrupt Exchange Database. Now, to fix this issue, we have discussed both manual and professional solution. As manual solution has some limitations so, to have a foolproof solution, a user is advised to use a third-party tool suggested above to fix damaged .edb files in exchange 2013/ 10/ 07/ 03 accounts.