Hard Disk Formatted by Mistake – How to Retrieve Data?
With each passing day, everyday data is getting augmented. So, the data storage requirements are accelerating too, at a faster rate. And this is the reason why so many people today prefer using external hard disk drives that have much larger data storage capacities. Many times, while using a hard drive, it happens to most people that their hard disk formatted by mistake.
Whether you are performing quick formatting or complete formatting of the disk, you tend to lose every bit of data stored on it right after confirming to format that drive. So, it is more or less a nightmare kind of thing for most of the external drive users when their hard drive gets mistakenly formatted, specifically in the case of those ones that have very large capacities.
Scenarios of Users
1st Case:- I had formatted my external hard drive of Seagate of 120GB totally out of some mistake. There are around one thousand video chips that and I do not have any backup of those videos.
2nd Case:- I have used an external HDD of 500GB for the last two years. This Sunday morning, while I was trying to transfer some of my
hard drive data from it to my PC. Then don’t know how but I accidentally formatted the drive and each & every data on the card was totally lost. Some of those files that were saved on that drive are really very important to me. Therefore, I eagerly need to know if there is any way to retrieve data from HDD.
3rd Case: I am using a portable hard disk drive of 64GB. Yesterday, without any clue, I didn’t understand how but I accidentally formatted some of my crucial excel XLSX files from my HDD. Now I wish to retrieve lost hard drive data.
Quick Steps for an Accidentally Formatted Hard Drive
- Download and run the Hard Disk Recovery Tool.
- Select the device you want to recover and select the scan option.
- Preview all the data in the selected folder.
- Choose the files you want to recover and hit Save
- Select destination and export successfully
Reasons Why External Hard Drive Get Formatted
- Disk Error: This is one of the most common reasons why HDDs get formatted. The disk error shows up like “disk drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?” And you might not be well-versed in the whole thing; you sometimes format it to fix the error and convert its file system from RAW to NTFS/FAT32!
- Viruses. Yet another very common reason for this is viruses or spyware. You might have formatted the external HDD for the purpose of deleting or killing any possible viruses. As an expert suggestion, if and when your external hard disk gets attacked by any viruses, Then, it is always better to run the anti-virus software and then format it to delete the viruses. In the case of a mistaken format, the hard disk has a disk error. You must remember that you do not write any new data to avoid slimming down the chances of data recovery further.
- Microsoft Windows 7 OS can recognize only the NTFS file systems and the FAT 32 file systems. But it happens sometimes that a disk partition changes the hard drive file system to Raw. When a RAW drive error occurs on Windows 7 disk partitions, the user cannot access his data that had been stored on the partition until and unless he formats it. But, as a matter of fact, formatting will, in turn, erase the complete partition.
Hard Disk Formatted by Mistake and Recover Data: The Sigh of Relief!
When such a thing happens, your formatted hard drive by mistake. Then, files will not be erased completely. Even though the partition might become empty. In such a situation, do not write anything to that formatted partition, as that would occupy the space allotted for lost data. If this space gets taken over, then lost data will be overwritten. This will lessen the recovery chances. Also, physical damage is another thing where recovery chances drop considerably. So, for successful data recovery, you must not write any data or let the HDD suffer any kind of physical damage. Hard Disk Data Recovery Tool can help you recover deleted partitions from hard drives.
It can help you recover deleted files from Seagate external hard drive. This software is programmed to support all data recovery. However, you can also choose which ones you want to keep. You can return selected items individually or all together after recover. Otherwise, data will be returned from the selected folder within the partition.
Steps to Recover Data from Hard Disk Formatted by Mistake
- Download and install the utility on your Windows OS.
- Now select the Formatted Scan option to recover formatted data from the HDD.
- Now preview the formatted data in the right panel of the application.
- Finally, select the location to save the recovered deleted files from Seagate external HDD
Hard disk formatted by mistake Recovering formatted data from HDDs is a boring task. But if you want to recover data dead hard disk. Then there is only one solution left to overcome this issue, i.e., an HDD recovery tool. In the above article, we have mentioned how users can use this utility.
FAQs on Formatted External Hard Drive by Mistake
Q: How to recover an accidentally formatted drive?
Ans: First, select a data recovery program to recover your formatted hard drive. Here, we recommend software that supports hard drives, external hard drives, USB drives, SD cards, Windows storage, and other formats.
Q: How do you recover data from a formatted hard drive without software?
Ans: You can restore your data from a backup (assuming you have a backup to restore).
- Open your backup.
- Find the files you want to recover.
- Copy it to a formatted hard drive.
Q: How do I recover data from a formatted hard drive in Windows 11, 10?
Ans: If you accidentally formatted a hard drive containing important data, you should use data recovery software such as the above automatic solution to scan the hard drive and recover your lost data. then note that data can only be recovered before it is overwritten. So, act now and don’t write any new data to your formatted hard drive.