How to Unhide Hidden Files in External Hard Drive – Effectively
With the increasing use of storage mediums like USB drives, flash drives, external hard drives, pen drives, etc. by more & more people for storing sensitive data and information in a handy manner; there are now increasing incidences of these files getting hidden or non-visible owing to causes like virus infections or any other such reason. Sometimes, the users have many pictures, documents, etc saved on these external storage mediums, but when they try opening these, sometimes, it so happens, that nothing seems visible. The computer only shows that the particular device is empty.
Also read: Portable hard disk not ejected
How to Show Hidden Files in External Hard Drive Using CMD
- Firstly, you need to plug in your USB or hard drive to your machine
- Then, go to start Here, in the search bar, type “cmd“. Now, click enter
- Then, “cmd. exe” is shown under the programs’ list
- Here, you have to right-click on this “cmd. exe“
- After that, you get a command allowing you to unhide hidden files
- Just type in “attrib -h -r -s /s /d drive letter:\*.*”, here
Another Method for Unhiding Hidden Files in External Hard Drive
- Go to Start then, click All Programs after that click on Accessories. Then, click on Command Prompt
- In the new Windows version, you have to right-click. Now, choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
- Now, Click Start then, Go to Computer or My Computer
- Find Removable drive Type Drive Letter: and then press enter
- You see a blinking line going down and displaying drive letter:\>
- Here, type in attrib command -s -h -r /s /d And then press enter
- The blinking line goes down once again and then Go to drive
- Check whether you can view your hidden files now
One More Method to Show Hidden Files in External Hard Drive Windows 7
- First, click Start And then, click flash drive for opening
- Inside that flash drive, you can click “Organize” present at the top-left section of the displayed window
- Now, click on the “Folder and Search Options” And then, click tab “View“
- Here, tick the option for “Show hidden files” inside the “Hidden files and folders”.
- Now, click on the “Apply” option then click “OK”
- Finally, You might see your hidden files getting visible now
Steps to Permanently Unhide Hidden Files on External Hard Drive
Once you see the hidden files using about mentioned steps, then right-click on the hidden file that is needed to permanently unhide.
- Firstly click on “Properties“
- Now Uncheck the “Hidden” option. Now, click on “Apply“
- Click “OK” finally to unhide required files permanently
How to Unhide Folder in Windows 7 & 10
- Click Start from the lower left screen part
- Then, go to the Control Panel
- Click the button for “Category” on the right upper menu corner
- From the drop-down, choose “Small Icons“
- And then, from the “All Control Panel Items“, click on the “Folder Options“
- Now, select the “View” tab And then, enable the option for “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”.
How to Show Hidden Files on External Hard Drive Windows – 100% Safe Solution
If want to use this solution then firstly format your hard drive after that download Hard drive formatted data recovery utility on your Windows OS. This utility supports recovering formatted and reformatted data from the external hard drives. This tool has the ability to restore deleted data from Seagate hard disk all brands of hard drives without any hassle. Now we will discuss the working steps of unhiding hidden files on a hard drive.
- Download and install the software on Windows OS
- Now to provides two modes of file recovery
- After that preview your restored data in the tool panel
- Finally, click on save button to recover your lost data
Some Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- After unhiding the files, scan the system for trusted antivirus precaution sake
- Always check for hidden files habitually
- Check what sort of files usually get hidden. This will give you an idea of the virus types
You can follow the steps given above to unhide hidden files in external hard drive. However, if the manual does not work for you, then try third-party software. It will provide you with satisfying results.