Fix USB Drive 0 Bytes Error & Windows Not Able to Complete Format
Are you seeking to fix the USB drive 0 bytes error? then you are in an appropriate place. In this article, we will discuss the most common causes that create USB flash drives showing 0 bytes. So let’s start the article.
User Query: USB Drive 0 Bytes Error
Yesterday, when I connected my pen drive to my system, I got a warning message that said formatting the disk is needed before you can again put it to use. So, mistakenly, I selected ‘Format disk’ and it completely washed out of my mind that the pen drive was holding some of my crucial data. I think I was very fortunate, as the disk format failed and I received yet another error stating that MS Windows was not able to complete that format.
In this particular situation, I viewed USB drive properties and found it to be 0 bytes in the space that was being used, along with free space and capacity, which were shown as 0 bytes. I even attempted connecting via OTG to my smartphone, but nothing happened in actuality. In the below section, we will learn what could possibly be done to a USB showing 0 bytes or to fix the pen drive 0 bytes error.
Quick Note: This is the most reliable way to repair corrupted pen drive data. Try the SysTools Pen Drive Recovery Tool to recover corrupted and formatted files from USB drive.
This software will effectively help you get out of this situation. Download the free demo version of the utility to preview your recovered data. It also resolves the pen drive shows empty when data exists.
- Download and run the software on your computer.
- Click the Scan or ScanFormat icon.
- View a full preview of the file on screen.
- Click the “Save” button and save the data from anywhere.
Methods to Repair Corrupted Pen Drive after 0 Bytes Error
The issue is sometimes very critical if you have important data on your flash drive. to avoid any data loss trouble after the Pen Drive 0 bytes error. Then, it is suggested—in fact, highly recommended—to find those hidden files and restore your important data first before fixing the USB flash drive shows 0 bytes issue. You can use any of the below-mentioned methods for restoring data from a pen drive after a 0 bytes error:
Fix USB Drive 0 Bytes Error by Using CMD
- First, check whether the files you are looking for are not hidden
- If it is not so, then click “Start.” Then go to “Run” and Type CMD, then press the enter key
- Now, pen drive might have been assigned “G” or “H” as the driver letter
- Enter command attribute -h-r-s/s/d g:\*.* After that, press enter, then copy the command and paste it directly in the command window.
- You can replace drive letter ‘G‘ as shown in the command above with the appropriate letter that might be assigned in your system to pen drive
- And then you have to check the pen drive again for those files
Format the Pen Drive to Resolve Issue
If the first method is not workable for you, then you can try this method of formatting the pen drive by using the below attribute: –s-h/d *.*
Repair a Corrupted Pen Drive
You can also try this method to fix the pen drive 0 bytes error, which is given below:
- First of all, you need to press the Windows key + X
- Then select disk management
- If however, the disk is showing as unlocked, then right-click on it and then restore pen drive
- After that, open run and type CMD
- Now, in command prompt type: attrib-h-r-s/s/d
After performing the above-mentioned methods, if you still can not view your important data, you can try connecting your pen drive to other PC systems and see if that new machine can read your files and data. If you still do not see any files being there or the pen drive is still showing this 0 bytes error, then you may find another method to get your data out or fix the USB stick 0 bytes error problem.
Also read: How to Fix USB Ports Not Working in Windows 11, 10?
In the above post, we have mentioned four solutions to fix the USB drive 0 bytes error and how to pen drive shows 0 bytes and cannot be formatted. Users can select any solution to overcome this issue. Keep in mind that manual methods have some limitations. If users make any mistakes, there is a high chance of data loss. Therefore, we have mentioned a third-party tool that can recover your corrupted and formatted data instantly without any hassle.