Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery Export Tool – Know How it Works
Are you looking for a solution to save emails from Outlook 365 to Hard Drive? Are you feeling difficulties in exporting your data? If yes, then you are at the right place as this article explains step by step guide to use Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery Export Tool.
A large number of users are using Microsoft Office 365 nowadays. It has gained immense popularity among users whether they are home users or professional users. As a precaution, many users like to keep a backup copy of their emails so that they can access if their account gets hacked or lost. Moreover, the local copy can be accessed in Microsoft Outlook desktop application without internet connectivity.
Substitute of Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery PST Export Tool
There is an alternative of this tool for users who find this utility difficult and lengthy to use. This software makes the entire task simple and can be completed within few clicks. Moreover, there are two more options (EML and MSG) to export Office 365 Mailboxes to PST format. There are some more features offered in this tool to make the task effortless. You can download this utility for free to check how it works.
Working Steps of Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery Export Tool
As we discussed in the above section, a lot of users prefer to keep a local copy of their data in local storage. But using this utility is not an easy task and requires some technical knowledge as well. This is a long process and takes so much time to complete it. Many users get stuck in between the process and don’t know how to proceed. So, here we have come up with the working steps of Office 365 eDiscovery export tool.
- First, login to your Microsoft Office 365 account.
- Expand Admin panel from left section and select Exchange option.
- Now, Exchange Admin Center will open. Click on Admin Roles.
- Double click on Discovery Management option. (A user must have Discovery Management role assigned to its mailbox).
- Click on Edit button to add necessary roles to the mailboxes.
- Check that MailboxImportExport, Legal Hold, and mailbox search roles are allocated to the mailbox.
- Now, select and add members from the list and click on Save button.
- Go back to Exchange Admin Center and navigate to Compliance Management >> New.
- It will open In-place Discovery & Hold window where you have to enter name for litigation hold and then click Next.
- Then, it will ask you to select the mailboxes on which you want to perform search. You can select all mailboxes as well.
- Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery Export Tool allows you to perform search operation on Public folders as well. So, you can select this option if you want to export data from Public folders.
- Use different filter options to filter emails from mailbox or public folders.
- Skip In-place hold settings and hit Finish button.
- You can check the progress at the right side of the window.
- It will show you “Estimate Succeeded” message once it gets completed.
- Now, hit “Export to a PST file” button and it will start the export process.
- The ClickOnce extension will now come into play. Ensure that you are running the latest version of browser.
- Mention the export location and hit Start button to initiate the process.
There is no doubt that this Office 365 eDiscovery PST Export Tool is not an easy process to execute. A user should have proper technical knowledge to use this utility. The process is so lengthy and required help from a technical person to perform it without any issue. So, it is recommended to go for some third-party application instead of this complex solution.
This is a time consuming and complex task and its primary task is not for export process. This utility was originally created to perform Search operation in Office 365 mailboxes. So, it is advised to try special tools which are exclusively created to export your crucial data to local system.
Many users find it difficult to use Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery Export Tool and save their data into system. So, users can read this article and get the step by step guide to use the utility. However, a lot of users opt for third-party tools over this method as it is so complex and requires technical expertise. Thus, there is an automated tool in the above section which will help you to perform the same task in just few clicks.