Guide to Export Exchange Online Mailbox to PST – Simple Tricks
Office 365 users whether they are home users or working in an organization, don’t usually keep a backup copy of Exchange Online mailbox items in their system. They think that Office 365 is responsible for their data and keeps backup of it. But many tech experts recommend the users to store a backup copy of their data in the local system. So, we have come up with a solution to export Exchange Online mailbox to PST format.
Process to Export Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST File
Users have several ways to create and save a copy of mailbox data to their system. The first one is the eDiscovery method which was originally introduced for Content Search. It requires technical expertise and knowledge to implement the entire process without any issue. It is suggested to only go for this method if you are technically sound and have previously worked on Office 365. Else, you are advised to use the software mentioned below and make the task effortless and hassle-free.
Process 1 – Quick & Automated Tool
If you don’t want to opt for the above time consuming and difficult procedure, then there is another solution which is recommended by technocrats and is simple to use. It is a proven solution and considered as the best solution to export Exchange Online mailboxes to PST format. This Office 365 Mailbox Export Utility provides you the option to save emails, calendars, contacts and tasks from Exchange Online mailboxes. You can check the key features of the tool below:
- Option to Save Messages into Three File Formats (PST, EML, MSG)
- Use Admin Account to Export Multiple Exchange Online Mailboxes to PST
- Save User Mailboxes, Shared Mailboxes and Archive Mailboxes
- Naming Convention Feature While Exporting Emails in MSG and EML Format
- Export Selective Mailbox Items using Category-Based Filter
- Software Compatibility: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Lower Versions
How it Works – Guide to Export Exchange Online Mailbox to PST Format
1. Download this tool and run on Windows OS. Click on Login button.
2. Provide Office 365 User ID and its associated password in the fields. After that, hit Sign-in button.
Note: Enable “Is Admin” checkbox if you have entered Admin email ID.
3. Select PST as output email format as we are exporting Exchange Online mailboxes to PST format.
4. You can also split large Outlook PST file if you want to use this option.
5. Here, select the categories that you want to export and also apply date-range if want data from a certain date-range only.
6. Click on Browse button to save data on desired location and then hit Start button.
7. You will get the real-time progress status within the tool as displayed below.
8. The software also provides you the option Save Report of entire process.
Process 2 – Content Search eDiscovery Export Tool
Another method available for the users to export Exchange Online mailbox to PST format is eDiscovery Tool. It is basically created to search data into mailboxes and then export them into PST format. For that, you can follow the below procedure.
1. Before starting the process, you need to make sure that your mailbox is added into eDiscovery Manager role group.
2. Then, create a Content Search. Here, select the mailboxes that you want to backup. You also get the option to filter the mailboxes before exporting them.
3. Once the export process is completed, you can start downloading search results into your computer.
4. You will also get a key while downloading the search results, you have to provide it during the process to export Exchange Online mailboxes to PST. Once, you successfully save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive, you can access them in your system.
Whenever users think to create a backup copy of their mailboxes and save them in the system, most of the users find it difficult to carry out. A lot of users have certain requirements like exporting only specific items or applying a date-range filters. In these scenarios, the above-mentioned tool to export Exchange Online Mailbox to PST comes into use as it offers various features. However, users can also take help of eDiscovery tool if they are technically sound.