Recover Text from Corrupt Word Document or Damaged Doc File
MS Word is an essential part of the Microsoft Office suite which contains formatted texts, images, graphs, charts, tables, print settings and page formatting in .doc format. The latest version of the MS Word saves information in the docx format. But, sometimes Word file gets corrupted and users will not be able to open the files directly. It can be a very frustrating situation when people lose their valuable document due to corruption. However, it is very difficult to recreate the doc file and recover text from corrupt Word document file. In this post, we are going to clear all your doubts regarding Word file corruption and its recovery process. We clearly explain how to extract text from damaged word file. First, let’s know the reasons other than file corruption that can be faced by users while using MS Word.
- MS Word file crashes because of losing significant data
- Some particular texts lost from the Doc or Docx file
- Unexpected occurrence of error without the .doc files being saved
- Word file is unable to open or not support some particular information
- Issues while writing on Word or Macros might get disabled
- Sometimes Word document name or the path becomes invalid
Reasons that Results in Loss of Text from Word File
Text can be lost from Doc file due to user mistakes. When people are trying to use any word file from the pen drive, sometimes it becomes inaccessible. It only happens, when people eject pen drive even though MS word document is in use.
Due to rising of demands and requirements, people keep changing their word file into various another formats. Also, if your Microsoft Office suite is corrupted and you try to open your word file in it, this can lead data loss or corruption in Microsoft Word document.
Whatever the reasons, the matter is that you have lost your important text from the Word file. Now, it is your task to recover text from corrupt Word document. But, before extracting text from a word file (doc), you should try to repair and recover text from damaged Word file.
How to Repair a Damaged Word File?
If you are able to open a corrupted Word file, then you can use the Word’s built-in recovery utility to recover word file and extract text from corrupt word document. For this, you need to perform the following steps that are given below to repair MS Word Docx file:
Step 1: Repair Corrupted Document via Word
- First of all, go to the File menu >> Open button.
- Now, in the Open dialog box, click to highlight your Word documents.
- After that, choose the arrow of Open button and choose the Open and Repair option.
- Then, verify that you have recovered and repaired word document file problem or not. If the strange behavior still exists, then restart your Windows. Otherwise, you can recover text from corrupt word document using the steps mentioned below.
Step 2: Copy & Safe Data from Damaged File to a New Document
- First of all, create the new Word file, then go to the File menu >> Open button.
- Now, choose the damaged Word document and click on the Open button.
- After that, you can easily copy the unharmed contents of the corrupted document & paste them into the new document.
Step 3: Switch Document View to Eliminate the Corrupted Data
- To delete the corrupted data only, hit View tab >> Web Layout or Draft view option.
- Now, you can scroll down or up accordingly to view the content that was seen before the document appeared to be cut off.
- After that, you can select the next paragraph, table, or object in the file to delete.
- Further, from the View tab, click on the Print Layout option. If the Word document continues to appear to be reduced, you can switch the views and delete the content until the file no longer shows truncated in Print Layout view.
- Finally, you need to save the Word document.
Alternatively, you can also try a reliable solution like SysTools Word Repair tool to eliminate the corruption from Word file. This software is capable to repair a damaged word file with multiple pages at once. Apart from this, it also provides various ingenious features such as preview, auto-detection, option to maintain the formatting and hierarchy, etc.
How to Recover Text from Corrupt Word Document manually?
In case, if you are not able to open your Word file, then you can follow these methods to extract text from damaged Word file and documents.
Method # 1: Open Corrupted File in Draft Mode
- At first, open your Word file >> View tab >> Draft option.
- After that, go to File menu >> Options >> Advanced option.
- Now, you need to hit on the checkbox next to Use Draft font in Draft and Outline views and Show Picture placeholders options.
- Next, from the General section, uncheck the Update automatic links at Open option, >> OK button and then exit from Word.
- At last, go to the File menu and hit on the Open button to view the recovered damaged Doc file.
Method # 2: Use “Recover Text from Any File” Option
- First of all, open your Microsoft Word document, select File menu >> Open.
- In the Files of type box, and select Recover Text from Any File (*.*) option.
- In the next step, click on the Word document from which you need to extract text from damaged word file (only text).
- Finally, press on Open button to get the required text from the corrupted Word file.
There are many reasons due to which a Word file gets corrupted. Generally, people save their crucial information in the word file. So, in this case, they want to recover text from corrupt word document. For this purpose, we have discussed a complete guide on how to repair a damaged Word document and extract text from damaged word file.