Export Emails from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook Manually
Microsoft is having its own proprietary file format for Outlook. And it is called PST files. The complete data in an Outlook account like emails, contacts, calendars, etc. will be stored in PST format only. And this file would be saved in the local database on the computer. This same file format cannot be used with any other email application nor no other file format can be imported to Windows Outlook. Apple Mail email client is the default application supported by Mac operating system. And many Mac users widely use it, but due to the advanced features of Outlook 2016, many Mac Mail users are now searching for a solution to export emails from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook.
Why Mac Mail Users Need to Migrate to MS Outlook
Now let us see the reasons, that make a user switch their Apple Mail account to Outlook account. This application provides many advanced features, and some of them are listed below:
- Windows Outlook version 2016 provides smart lookup facility and quick message preview option.
- Outlook can synchronize multiple accounts to it.
- Threads in Outlook supports grouping of messages according to the conversation while Mac Mail doesn’t provide such facility.
- It provides the ability to view multiple calendars at once and also support linking to cloud.
If somehow your Outlook does not open in Mac read for instant solution.
Many users are searching for a solution that how to export email messages from Apple Mail to Outlook 2016. Therefore this blog is meant to solve your problem. i.e. here we will discuss the different methods (a manual solution and an automated method) to export Mac Mail to Outlook for Windows.
Export Emails from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook Manually
There exist no direct manual method to migrate Apple Mail files to Outlook PST file format. The method discussed in this blog consist of four steps, which use four email applications for completing the process. But this is the only available solution to convert Mac Mail to Outlook account manually. Here one requires access to Eudora Mail and Outlook Express along with your Mac Mail and Outlook accounts.
Initially, the user needs to transfer Apple Mail data files to MBOX format. Then in the next step, migrate this generated file to Eudora account. And the file created in that email client is moved Outlook Express account. Finally, you can import those file in Outlook Express to Windows Outlook 2016. Now the entire task is explained in detail:
One User Query: “I am using Mac Mail Application for my personal needs for many years. I am also having some other email accounts which are meant for business needs only. Now I think it is a necessity to sync all my email accounts to a single platform for easy management. One of my friends suggested Windows Outlook 2019 and it seems to be a better option. But can anyone suggest a method to export my Apple Mail account to a newly created Outlook account?”
Way to Export Emails from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook
- Open your Mac Mail on the Macintosh operating system.
- Press the File >> Import Mailboxes from the account.
- Choose the Import data from option and then select the file that you need to transfer. (say, files are in MBOX format).
- Click the Continue button.
- Press on Choose >> Browse the location of your MBOX file >> then Continue tab.
- Press the Done button when the entire process is complete.
Method 2. In Eudora Mail Account:
The user needs to install Windows Eudora Mail for the generation of MBOX files in it. The reason behind this is the MBOX files cannot be directly transferred into Windows Outlook account.
- Initially, the needs to change the extension of the imported file. (For example xyz to xyz.mbx)
- Then move that xyz.mbx file to the directory in which the Eudora Mail store all its files by default: (C: Documents and SettingsApplication Data\Qualcomm\Eudora)
- Now open the Eudora email client and then double click on xxx.mbx to create the file and then close the application.
Method 3.In Outlook Express:
Now go to MS Outlook Express, and then transfer messages from Eudora email client to Express.
- Open your Outlook Express account >> go to File >> Import >> select the Messages.
- Select the option Eudora from the list of email applications >> press Next.
- Then browse the location and select the xyz.mbx file from it >> click OK.
- Click Next >> Next >> Finish to end the process.
Method 4.. In Windows Outlook 2016:
Now the user can sync his/her email messages from Outlook Express to Windows Microsoft Outlook.
- Open your Windows Outlook account, to where you need to upload the files.
- Click on File >> Open >> Enlisted tabs >> Import >> Import and Export wizard.
- Then select the Import Internet Mail and Addresses >> Next.
- Now choose Outlook Express 6.x, 5.x, 4.x or Window Mail option to move the data from it.
- Ensure that Import Mail is checked >> click Next.
Now the user is capable of accessing the converted Mac Mail folders in Windows Outlook.
Also Read: How to backup Apple Mail to external hard drive?
The above discussed manual procedure will guide you to export emails from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook. But it is not the best approach to perform because it does not guarantee 100% accuracy. A small glitch from the user’s side could ruin the entire approach. Even though this approach can be accomplished absolutely with no cost, the entire process is very lengthy and time-consuming. Let us discuss some of the demerits of this manual technique.
Limitations of Syncing Mac Mail Emails to Outlook PST
- To perform the above manual method, the user needs to access four email application.
- The users must have knowledge about each email clients for the proper implementation.
- The entire process is time-consuming and confusing, and it is difficult to execute.
- This manual procedure doesn’t ensure 100% safe migration of the data.
- It is not assuring any guaranteed results after completion.
- Also, the conversion process will be quite difficult when the file size increases. (for example: in cooperate environment)
Professional Solution for Apple Mail Mailbox to Outlook Migration
Since the manual solution explained above is not practically efficient because its pre-requisites include two more active email applications other than Mac Mail and Outlook. Clearly, this is an inefficient solution that is very lengthy. So here we suggest a third-party software that can export emails from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook in a few simple steps.
The software to convert MBOX files is an efficient technical solution that migrates your Apple Mail files to Outlook PST format directly.
This utility has many features like:
- This product can maintain the integrated structure of all emails that get uploaded.
- The software is capable of transferring multiple numbers of Mac Mail files (more than 100+) at once.
- It also provides options to the users to give the name for the files it created after conversion.
- The application is having filtering options, which allows the users to specify the date range while selecting the files to migrate.
- This product will run on Mac OS X 10.10 and all its later versions.
As we know, Apple Mail is a widely used email application by Mac users worldwide. But Windows Outlook 2016 is providing many advanced features like supporting multiple email clients, scheduling of the inbox, cloud attachments, etc. to its users. But the Apple Mail lacks many such advanced facilities in its account.
Therefore now many Mac users inquiring an option to export emails from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook 2016. Since the manual method for converting Mac Mail mailbox to Outlook PST is lengthy and error-prone, an alternative solution to perform the same migration is suggested in the blog.