Migrate Offline Exchange Database to Office 365 – Step by Step
Are you ready to migrate Offline Exchange database to Office 365 for your Organization? This guide will help to go through the process, no matter user is technical or non-technical. There are multiple methods that can be deployed to perform the single operation to achieve targets to move data in Office 365 Account. For the migration of Exchange database to O365, you can try:
While migrating Microsoft Exchange offline database to Office 365 is a huge task that needs a lot of time to perform. Let’s find out what was the need to perform migration.
Need for Migration of Offline Exchange Database to Office 365?
A lot of reasons prompt towards companies that make them migrate Offline Exchange to Exchange Online. The primary one is what if any disaster occurs? All, your data can come to risk. Moreover, Hardware maintenance cost, 100% server availability, are also a few reasons to migrate. Let’s see in brief about Office 365 advantage over Exchange:
- Office 365 offers easy access to your data without spending on the infrastructure.
- All you need to subscribe plan as per your companies need and create users.
- Forget about disk storage or to invest extra money on storage media to save your company data.
- No need to worry about data security. Secure your data against data loss due to disasters, technical faults, etc.
- Forget about the corruption and Stability issues that user faced in Offline Exchange
- Now no more Exchange server downtime issue or other page load issues.
- A lot of time was wasted in Exchange setup.
- Needs a lot of in-depth expertise and patience for migrating to Office 365 from Exchange Server.
Methods to Migrate Offline Exchange Database to Office 365
As discussed, there are multiple methods for mailbox migration. The user can opt any among them as per there need:
Method 1: Migrate Offline Exchange EDB to O365 – Automated Solution
Looking to simplify the process for Migration of Offline Exchange 2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007 /2003 Database to Office 365 by avoiding data loss and other risks try SysTools Exchange Recovery Tool. It is featured with option to move whole MS Exchange Mailboxes mailboxes and data items: emails, contacts, tasks, attachments to the O365 from offline / dismounted EDB in a simplified manner.
This utility provides advanced features (Quick & Advance scan) that easily resolves Exchange database corruption and repair corrupt EDB files as well as mailboxies automatically with no data loss. According to the level of corruption in offline EDB file, users can select the scan mode and repair corrupt Exchange database. The advance scanning mode also recovers the permanently deleted Exchange mailboxes and items.
The software support private and public EDB & Straming Media File (STM). User can export Exchange mailbox to PST, EML, HTML, PDF, MBOX, MSG file file format along with public folders. Also, users can export the Exchange database mailboxes to Live Exchange Server 2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007 / 2003 and office 365 in a hassle freeway.
Key Features Of Professional Software
- Recover & retrieve Exchange Mailbox database via dual scan mode
- Preview Exchange database file mailbox data items before conversion
- Keep metadata intact and preserve actual folder structure
- Date filter option export selective mailbox items in a specified period of time
- Extract mailbox data from offline / dismounted Exchange database file
- Remove email encryption (SMIME/OpenPGP) from mailboxes in bulk
- Export selective EDB mailbox data items via categories filter option
- Suitable with all version of Exchange Server, Office 365 and Windows OS
In Below section, we briefly explained steps required within software to perform migration process of dismounted and Offline EDB File into O365 mailboxes. Install and Launch Software after downloading Software from above button.
Steps to Migrate Offline Exchange Database to Office 365
Step 1: First, add Exchange Database File within the software and “Search” and “Select” option to view the Items stored in mailboxes of Exchange users.
Step 2: To fix any kind of corruption in Dismounted and Offline EDB File, use Quick and Advance Mode of Scanning before migrating to Office 365 Account.
Step 3: Now View preview the Items Details details of mailboxes within the software, Also view the attachments details save with the mailboxes in the separate section. Now select the Mailboxes Items you want to migrate from EDB File Offic365 Mailboxes.
Step 4: Now use the Export option of software to save data in O365 account.
Step 5: After validating Office 365 Credentials Details. Use the Advance Filter and Provide the Mailbox Credentials either using CSV File or Individually.
Step 6: Export Process: Once destination User id and password are validated by software click on ‘Export’ button to start the migration process.
Step 7: Migration of Exchange Offline to Office 365 Account process will start on completion, the report is generated in CSV File format. Now view the Export Mailbox Details in Office 365 Mailbox
Method 2: Cutover or Express Migration Technique
This is the best quick method to migrate On-Premise Exchange mailboxes to Office 365. Is available for Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Well due to it’s criteria to migrate only 2000 mailboxes is only useful for small sized organization. Follow below steps to migrate:
1. Create a Group to Receive: The on-premise Exchange server consists of mail-enabled security group. So create a mail-enabled security group within Office 365 before migrating. For this Login to O365 account, Next Go to Office 365 Admin Centre > Group > Create new and create a group to receive mailbox items.
2. Create Cutover Migration Endpoint: For this Go to Exchange Admin Center >> Recipients >> Migration. Here, click on ‘+’ then Select Migrate to Exchange Online option. Now select radio button beside Cutover Migration (supported by Exchange Server 2003 and later versions). Now fill other option for endpoint migration (new batch migration).
3. At the end Type the name of migration and click on Start button.Next, Browse the user that will get the migration report and select radio button beside Automatically start the batch. Next click on new to start migration. To view details click on migration tab and click on View Details.
4. Now Assign Office 365 license to new users. The user account is automatically created after Cutover Migration.
5. Next Re-route domain to receive new emails in Office365.
Method 3: Staged Migration
This method can only be used for Exchange version 2003 & 2007. And as Cutover migration, Staged migration also helps to migrate only 2000 mailboxes. If companies want to migrate more then 2000 mailboxes then this will not be helpful.
Limitations of Mentioned Manual Methods
- Time taking and takes large server downtime.
- In-depth technical knowledge required to perform the migration.
- Chances of Data Loss.
To migrate offline Exchange Database to Office 365 account, Cut Over Migration technique can be used by Exchange Administrator. But What about the Corrupted Offline and Dismounted EDB File of different Exchange Environment ( 2019 & below versions). For that use Automated solution to directly migrate Offline Exchange Database to O365 mailbox.